Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Writing English A: Writing assignment 1・作文1

Hello!



How are you? Today I will show you our 1st writing assignment (作文1) - writing a comparison and contrast (比較対照) short composition about unique people or places.


You have two (2) choices for themes (テーマ) Choose one (1) of them.

1. Compare (比べる) two (2) different people to each other

In this topic, compare two different people – it could be the personalities of some people you know, such as a brother to a sister, or our mother and your father. 

It could also be about two different people you know outside your family who may have the same jobs, or have had the same impact on your lives, like two teachers who had an impact on you, or two friends, coaches, or other people who have been big in your lives. But it could also be two famous people you think are unique, interesting, or special, like two singers, musicians, actors, athletes, writers, artists, or scientists.


I will gather your writing on this topic into The Small Book of Big People book I have talked about in class. 

2. Compare two (2) places to each other

In this topic, compare two different places that you know about, and may mean a lot to you – two different schools, or other kinds of places from your childhood. It could also be about two different cities or towns – maybe places you know, but also places you have never been to but would like to go to, maybe even live in someday. 

I am gathering writing on this topic into the Places & Traces book I have also talked about in class. 

For this topic, you can use the pictures from my blog that I posted about places and homes, or you can find your own pictures and write about them.

NEW - 3. Writing about one (1) person or one (1) place.

If you feel that writing comparison-contrast might be a little too difficult, I can give the choice for you to write about one person, or one place. 

How much to write
I would like you to write as much as you can, because your work may be published (出版した) on both this blog and in The Small Book of Big People book I talked about in class. 

I have another book of student writing I am putting together called Places & Traces - a collection of student writing about unique and interesting places. If you choose to write about places, your work could also go into this book too!

I would like to see maybe 2-3 paragraphs' worth of writing at least, though I would like for you to try for more - maybe 4 paragraphs if you can. 

Deadline (締め切り)
It will be May 22nd (5/22). I want you to bring in a first draft (下書き) next week (5/15) in your notebooks in pencil. We will then review our work with each other and you can change things about the draft as you need to. Then you can write to the finish outside of class on a Word document and turn in your work on 5/22. 

I will let you know about how you can hand in your work - either in hard copy form, printed out, or uploaded to a Google Doc or some other shared form online (I will let you know on 5/15). 

NEW - Here are the board notes for our classes today (5/8):


Good luck with this! I hope you can have fun with this, and enjoy writing about people who are special and unique to you, or places that you have a great feeling for. 

See you next time!



Image: screenshot from http://evarazdin.hr/zanimljivosti/muski-kutak/zene-vise-vole-visoke-muskarce-358897/
I do not own the rights to the original upload from the screenshot. Uploaded for educational purposes only. All rights reserved to the copyright holder(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment