Sunday, May 12, 2019

Culture through English A: Summary writing・要約について

Hello!



How are you? Today I will introduce summary (要約) writing to you. Writing a summary will be very important for your presentation preparation (準備). 

Starting with our first presentation assignment, you will always have a summary for every presentation you will do in this class. 

As a refresher, here are the board notes from our class last week (5/8):






Now let's look at summary writing!

Summary writing
What is a summary? It is a short statement of purpose (SOP) that shows what your presentation topic is, and what you will show in it

Let's look at an example of a summary for the topic we will do for our first short presentation about ourselves

First, show a little background to the topic - in this case, about yourself:

例えば:
While I am in my second year now at Daito Bunka and am studying British and American literature like all of you, I have other hobbies and interests as well. 

Next, show some details (詳細) about your topic - in this case, yourself

例えば:
While I am in my second year now at Daito Bunka and am studying British and American literature like all of you, I have other hobbies and interests as well. I enjoy reading books, especially novels, but also gaming and cooking. 

Finally, show in a direct (直接) way what you will present about

例えば:
While I am in my second year now at Daito Bunka and am studying British and American literature like all of you, I have other hobbies and interests as well. I enjoy reading books, especially novels, but also gaming and cooking. In this presentation today, I will tell you more about myself, and my hobbies and interests. 

So now this is what your finished summary should look like: 

例えば:
While I am in my second year now at Daito Bunka and am studying British and American literature like all of you, I have other hobbies and interests as well. I enjoy reading books, especially novels, but also enjoy gaming and cooking. In this presentation today, I will tell you more about myself, and my hobbies and interests. 

This is only 58 words long. Most summaries should run only around 50-75 words in length, though for more complex topics, they can go up to 100 words.  

I hope this can help you with your summary writing. 

See you next week!


Images: Personal photographs. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment